Ph.D., 1994, Rochester
Experimental High Energy Physics
Professor Hirosky’s current research explores questions in Elementary Particle Physics at the CERN LHC Collider in Geneva Switzerland. The goals of performing research at the energy frontier are many-fold. While the Standard Model has survived a wide variety of experimental tests, numerous fundamental questions remain: Does Nature yet hold undiscovered symmetries and physical laws? Are there hidden dimensions of space-time? The universe appears to contain vast quantities of gravitational mass of unknown origin, what is the nature of this dark matter? What happened to the anti-matter as the universe evolved? What is the origin of mass? ...
He and his group continue to explore these questions on multiple fronts, including studies of the Higgs boson, searches for new physics signatures, precision measurements of the standard model, R&D for detector design and development of high performance electronics for detector systems. His current research interests on the CMS Experiment at CERN (http://cms.cern.ch) include exploring novel signatures for new physics using multi-boson final states and precision standard model measurements. Hardware efforts include electronics upgrades for the CMS Hadron Calorimeter and the development of a new readout system for the CMS Electromagnetic Calorimeter, capable of processing ~10TB of data/second and providing precise energy reconstruction and timing information for the future High Luminosity LHC. Professor Hirosky has also served as Physics Coordinator of the D-Zero Experiment (http://www-d0.fnal.gov) at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, overseeing more that 100 publications from the proton-antiproton collider program. He currently serves as the CMS Coordinator of the Barrel Calorimeter upgrade project for the High Lumonosity LHC.
- Comparison of pp and ppbar differential elastic cross sections and observation of the exchange of a colourless C-odd gluonic compound, (D0 and TOTEM Collaborations), JHEP 11 (2021) 057
- Search for charged Higgs bosons decaying into a top and a bottom quark in the all-jet final state of pp collisions at √s=13 TeV, (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 07 (2020) 126
- Combination of CMS Searches for Heavy Resonances Decaying to Pairs of Bosons or Leptons, (CMS Collaboration), Physics Letters B 798 (2019)
- Search for pair production of first-generation scalar leptoquarks at √s= 13 TeV, A.M.Sirunyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), Phys.Rev. D99 (2019) no.5, 052002
- Search for ZZ resonances in the 2ℓ 2ν final state in proton-proton collisions at 13 TeV, A.M.Sirunyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 03 (2018) 003
- Tevatron Run II combination of the effective leptonic electroweak mixing angle, T. Aaltonen et al. (CDF Collaboration, D0 Collaboration), Phys. Rev. D97, 112007 (2018)
- Measurements of properties of the Higgs boson decaying into the four-lepton final state in pp collisions at root(s)=13 TeV, A.M.Sirunyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 11 (2017) 047
- Measurement of differential and integrated fiducial cross sections for Higgs boson production in the four-lepton decay channel in pp collisions at √s = 7 and 8 TeV, V. Khachatryan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 04 (2016) 005
- Measurement of the triple-differential cross section for photon + jets production in proton-proton collisions at sqrt(s) = 7 TeV, S. Chatrchyan et al. (CMS Collaboration), JHEP 06 (2014) 009
- Constraints on models of the Higgs boson with exotic spin and parity in VH → Vbb final states, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 161802 (2014)
- Evidence for a particle produced in association with weak bosons and decaying to a bottom-antibottom quark pair in Higgs boson searches at the Tevatron, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 071804 (2012)
- Combined search for the Higgs boson with the D0 experiment, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Phys. Rev. D 88, 052011 (2013)
- Search for WH Associated Production in ppbar Collisions at √s = 1.96 TeV, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Phys. Rev. D 86, 032005 (2012)
- Measurement of the Inclusive Jet Cross Section in pp Collisions at √s = 1.96 TeV, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Phys. Rev. D 85, 052006 (2012)
- Search for the Standard Model Higgs Boson in the H→WW→lνq′q Decay Channel, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 171802 (2011)
- The Phase-2 Upgrade of the CMS Barrel Calorimeters, CMS Collaboration, CERN-LHCC-2017-011
- Jet energy scale determination in the D0 experiment, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 763, 442 (2014)
- The Upgraded DØ Detector, V. M. Abazov et al. (D0 Collaboration), Nuc, Instrum. Methods in Phys. Res. Sect. A 565, 463 (2006)
- The run IIb trigger upgrade for the DO experiment, M. Abolins et al, IEEE Trans Nucl. Sci. 52, 3233 (2005)
The 2019 High Energy and Particle Physics Prize of the EPS for an outstanding contribution to High Energy Physics is awarded to the CDF and D0 Collaborationsfor the discovery of the top quark and the detailed measurement of its properties.