Ph.D., 1978, California Institute of Technology
B.S., 1974, California Institute of Technology
William Barton Rogers Professor of Physics
Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
My research group currently focuses on three projects: (i) Experimental and computational study of thermoelectric properties of semiconductors and semimetals. The narrow-bandgap semiconductors studied are often in the proximity of topological semimetals that show unusual thermo-magnetic and electrical transport properties. (ii) Synthesis of thin films and computational study of ferrimagnetic and antiferromagnetic heterostructures that show skyrmionic state and anomalous Hall effect. The unique magnetic spin texture and fast dynamics are ideal for low-power and ultrafast spintronics. (iii) In our third project, we employ data science and experiment to study high-entropy alloys (HEAs) with specific properties in the complex high-dimensional composition space. The enormous flexibility of HEAs offers nearly unlimited possibilities for realizing superior physical and functional properties.
1. “Tuning Interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interactions in Thin Amorphous Ferrimagnetic Alloys”, Y. Quessab, J.-W. Xu, C. T. Ma, W. Zhou, G. A. Riley, J. M. Shaw, H. T. Nembach, S. J. Poon, and A. D. Kent, Scientific Reports, 10:7447 (2020).
2. “Amorphous Ferrimagnets: An Ideal Host for Ultra-Small Skyrmions”, S. Joseph Poon and Chung Ting Ma, J. Supercond. Novel Magn. 33, 269 (2020).
3. “Robust Formation of Ultrasmall Room-Temperature Neél Skyrmions in Amorphous Ferrimagnets from Atomistic Simulations", Chung Ting Ma, Yunkun Xie, Howard Sheng, Avik W. Ghosh, and S. Joseph Poon, Scientific Reports, 9:9964 (2019).
4. “Half Heusler Compounds: Promising Materials for Mid-to-High Temperature Thermoelectric Conversion”, S Joseph Poon, J. Physics D: Appl. Phys. 52, 493001 (2019).
5. “Enhanced Figure of Merit in Bismuth-Antimony Fine-Grained Alloys at Cryogenic Temperatures”, Sheng Gao, John Gaskins, Xixiao Hu, Kathleen Tomko, Patrick Hopkins, and S. Joseph Poon, Scientific Reports, 9:14892 (2019).
6. "Critical Evaluation of P-Type Doping Effects in Bi-Sb Alloys”, Xixiao Hu, Sheng Gao, and S. Joseph Poon, AIP Advances 9, 075321 (2019); doi: 10.1063/1.5108956.
7. “High Entropy Alloys Mined from Phase Diagrams”, Jie Qi, Andrew M. Cheung, and S. Joseph Poon, Scientific Reports, 9:15501 (2019).
"In recognition of his keen physical insights and significant contributions to a broad range of topics in experimental materials physics. These include ground breaking work on the first aluminum-based and nonmagnetic iron-based metallic glasses, novel work on alloy quasicrystalline phases and nano-crystalline aluminum alloys, and work in thermo-electric materials." n recognition of his keen physical insights and significant contributions to a broad range of topics in experimental materials physics. These include ground breaking work on the first aluminum-based and nonmagnetic iron-based metallic glasses, novel work on alloy quasicrystalline phases and nano-crystalline aluminum alloys, and work in thermo-electric materials."
" For studies of amorphous metallic solids and discoveries of new classes of metallic and insulating quasicrystals."